Hello and WELCOME to the random thoughts from wherever my mind may roam,
including images that tickle my fancy
Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or just say Hi !! Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
“I can never decide whether my dreams are the result of my thoughts,
or my thoughts the result of my dreams.”
D.H. Lawrence

I will not be just a tourist in the world of images, just watching images passing by which I cannot live in, make love to, possess as permanent sources of joy and ecstasy.
Anais Nin



This link kills spam

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Recipe for Horchata de Arroz (Sweet rice beverage)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Horchata (or-CHA-tah) is a milky white, sweet beverage, I LOVE this drink, it is my favorite aguas frescas !!! You can also buy the drink already prepared or in a powder form. I prefer the recipe from El Salvador. The horchata found in El Salvador is primarily made from Morro seeds not rice, but Morro seeds are not available here in Kansas.

Makes 2 quarts

* 2 cups long grain white rice
* 6 cups water
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Soak the rice overnight in 3 cups of the water. Add the rice, soaking water and cinnamon to a blender and puree until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
2. Strain into a pitcher through a fine-meshed sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. There should be no grit or large particles in the liquid.
3. Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, sugar and vanilla. Adjust sugar to taste and serve well chilled.

* Substitute 3 cups of milk for 3 cups of the water. Or use evaporated milk for a richer, creamier version.
* Some recipes call for grinding the rice before soaking. Use a spice or coffee grinder to first pulverize the rice. Then add the water to soak. The soaking time can usually be cut in half when following this method.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line !!